"No one is harder on a talented person than the person themselves" - Linda Wilkinson ; "Trust your guts and don't follow the herd" ; "Validate direction not destination" ;

October 22, 2011

Going with 'Google Cloud SQL'

I signed up for Google Cloud SQL. This post is for 'Getting Started with Google Cloud SQL'.
To get started, Documentation is available in link

This Database Cloud is based on MySQL database. I want to retry exercise posted earlier. To tryout logon to Google API console

After logging in Google API console you need to create Project.


I want to try basic tasks (Creating instances).


After creating instance you can check Dashboard to see Database Size, Version properties. SQL Prompt provided is the console to start executing MySQL commands
Next is playing with MySQL basic commands

Step 1 - Creating Database
Step 2 - List Database
Step 3 - Creating a Table

Step 4 - Created and Executed below stored procedure

CREATE PROCEDURE dowhile() 
BEGIN 
DECLARE I INT DEFAULT 5; 
v1loop: WHILE I < 10000 DO    
INSERT INTO TestTable1(A,B,C,D)    
SELECT CONCAT(I,'A'), CONCAT(I,'B'), CONCAT(I,'C'), CONCAT(I,'D');    
SET I = I + 1; 
END WHILE v1loop; 
END

It took atleast 10 minutes to complete executing the procedure. My desktop MySql version was comparitevly faster.
Step 5 - SELECT query
Step 6 - Checking Execution Plan

I didn't see any execution plan details with Explain Command.

This SQL Prompt was pretty slow compared to my dekstop edition of mysql. Next task is to learn other Google API's and build a sample app on top of it.

Happy Learning!!!

No comments: