"No one is harder on a talented person than the person themselves" - Linda Wilkinson ; "Trust your guts and don't follow the herd" ; "Validate direction not destination" ;

March 14, 2022

Experience vs Algorithms vs Design vs Polyglot expertise

  1. If I solve all algos and core data structures - Does it make it a good programmer - Yea Possibly he can solve build solutions
  2. What do I do in my work ? - Understanding data, domain, customer problems, applying the lens of data + ML + BI finding potential solutions 
  3. Where does this experience come from? - Similar domains, problems, building products 
  4. What does experience mean ? - Collection of different roles / functions / projects / products 
  5. Did I do only development or support or testing or performance? - When you build solutions you have to wear multiple hats to build them. There is no hard boundary for each role. To think from a customer perspective and building solutions is different from building solutions and how customers will use it
  6. Do I remember all algos, code now ? - Now, Some I remember, Some I learn as I apply
  7. Do I need to learn to practice every day? - There is no boolean way of answering for knowledge to say you know or don't know. As long as you can build solutions and code up you are good enough to solve customer solutions.

There is no one definition of skills. Do not go by what is being dictated. Building solutions takes as much time as you learn core cs basics. Expertise comes with time and experiments, not just coding standard problems.

Keep Thinking!!!

No comments: