"No one is harder on a talented person than the person themselves" - Linda Wilkinson ; "Trust your guts and don't follow the herd" ; "Validate direction not destination" ;

March 03, 2022

Managing a Project vs Managing a Team vs Managing Self

Managing Project

My working style is

  • Prototype as much as possible to plan for tasks
  • Guided knowledge with some prep work
  • Formulate experiments / options / blockers / alternatives
  • I prefer to know the big picture, clarity with some early prep and continuous learning to guide/unblock as needed

Other ways of Managing project

  • Task-based / Time based
  • I prefer to go with Know-how and know things from an implementation perspective
  • Everything is connected knowledge, You cannot be hands-on in every area but knowing / measuring / probing to understand from the end solution point of view matters

Managing Team

  • Where they are currently vs What is their goal
  • Look for a long term perspective, What aligns to their growth path
  • More the team less the time you can dedicate for every one

Managing Self

  • Am I learning things I like to do 
  • Does this align with my long term perspectives
  • What I do to refresh my first principles
  • Do I keep learning / connecting the dots with the big picture?

Career/title/skill everything is a point in time snapshot. Even the strongest will become weaker at some point in time. Keep ego/arrogance aside, life is too short to feel I Am the smartest, sometimes it is more about how you genuinely support/understand and get things going. A big no for services or pure people management roles. Pick and choose what best works for you.

Keep Going!!!

No comments: