"No one is harder on a talented person than the person themselves" - Linda Wilkinson ; "Trust your guts and don't follow the herd" ; "Validate direction not destination" ;

May 30, 2020

What is productivity ? Am I Good Developer ?

The measure we share with Employers / Coworkers 
  • 40 hours attendance 
  • Responding to emails
  • Accounting of tasks
  • Attending meetings
  • Quickly assemble something working with experiments/assumptions/learning's 
What is productivity at Individual-level?
  • Accountability
  • Satisfaction
  • Preparedness 
  • Connecting problems and previous experiences
  • Solving newer problems with comfort
  • Sharing learnings
  • Feeding the learning bus
Ideas take time to implement with the domain, technology, and implementation learnings. Tools are ways to measure/track productivity. In the end, it boils down to an individual level to understand if we really productive?

Learning Cycle needs a lot of perspectives, focus, and consistent efforts.
  • Some things I know 'How it works' because I have read about it, observed the working pattern
  • Some things I know because 'I have tried and it worked'
  • Some things I assume 'It works this way'
  • Some things I learn the fundamentals and build my working knowledge on top of it
  • The more you learn, the more it pushes you to learn and connect the dots
Am I a Good developer?

Whenever I hear about skill in JD, 

Example Keras - I correlate it to, I have used Deep Learning in this project. Did I master everything in Keras? No. 

How do I know I have learned everything in Keras?

I use Keras to achieve my Deep Learning model, finetune it. The perspective of learning is more towards a good quality MVP, Production code. Getting good quality in terms of performance and scalability needs learning. The focus is not on mastering technology but learning to solve the required Pieces.

What I do about Architecture evaluation?

Way back in 2016 / 2008, Evaluating cloud stack for Retail Analytics, Warranty Redesign, Salesforce Email Integration for XBOX. I was able to pull out a complete end to end architectural components on how the big picture will look like. Did I do hands-on implementation? No, but I was fairly convinced with patterns and use cases and learning How it works or why it works and successful in this context

I am a Prototype developer?

Yes, certain use cases to demonstrate working implementation had to build a working end to end prototype, ML pieces were working pieces, the mobile, web would be mockups built to show end to end flow.

Prototypes to production architecture refinement?

Taking prototypes to production, the Warranty approach to production is the best use case. Able to sell, migrate, implement the new approaches. Initially, Microsoft gave a 1 billion free warranty. We managed to save this hidden cost by ensuring warranty data is recalculated and it's more customer-driven.

Migration analysis
Migrating from old to a new system. Ensuring data is cleaned up. 

Development in all these perspectives is my experience. Somehow my perspective of technology starts from business to technology, I do like data structures, spending time, and learning different implementations. My success or satisfaction is from solving business problems, not from technology learning. Build your vision, future. Keep Going!!!

Learning is Summary of
  • Applied Knowledge
  • Learned Knowledge
  • Experimented Knowledge
  • Assumption based Knowledge

I believe some form of futuristic vision + design thinking is my approach 




More Read - Link

Keep thinking!!! 

No comments: